Go Havoc

Since I totally agree with last two blog entries of Havoc, I originally started to write this entry to get them to the planets I am on and he is not (yes, there are some) but then I couldn't resist adding my own thoughts. :)

Regarding "embeddable" scripting languages, I came-up with the exact same conclusion 4-5 year ago. When I looked around at that time, I realized that GNU had realized that long time ago and had a nice embeddable implementation of the easiest yet powerful language, Scheme. Guile was the name of that implementation. I soon became a firm believer of "Most of the implementation in C, while the highest-level (only) logic written in Scheme/Guile". While I was acting on my belief, I couldn't help but notice that the only other person in the whole GNOME community that had similar vision was Andy Wingo. Many (if not most) had been going for Python. Some of them even took this scripting language as far as coding complete frameworks in it.

As I mentioned in my previous blog entries, I did hack in Python for a while but the more I coded in it, the more I hated it. Now that I think back on that experience I realize that I wouldn't have hated it so much if the projects I had worked on where not completely written in it and it had used Python as what it is, a scripting language.

But lets not make this yet another anti-Python rant and agree with the conclusions drawn by Havoc for us. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the virtual world!

clutter-gst

zbus and Implementing Async Rust API